Thursday, September 24, 2009

new and old loves...









I spent my first afternoon in Edwardsville, IL since I was close by dropping Brad off for his first real vacation since moving to MO. With all the travel we've been doing through August and September, he has been in dire need of R&R and had to race to get ready for this venture. I hope he enjoys his male bonding weekend.

I have a new soft spot for Edwardsville- the main street is alive and full of character. Courtney directed me to stop by "Beyond Timbuktu." I ended up talking to the owner Andy for a long time over the Kuba cloth collection, teaching, and just raving about the store in general. Fiber dreams are made there- and I had flashbacks to my childhood days in fabric stores just running my hands over the merchandise. Incredible store- I am now seriously contemplating taking a weaving class to actually understand the process thoroughly (especially since seeing Laura Strand's artwork at Jacoby). I plan on going back with Brad to select a cut-pile embroidery for our house and to use as a reference for my classes.

I also had a chance to case out the Edwardsville Art Center. The space is great- and I love the concrete floors that scream to be installed upon as well as the storefront window span. (When I have to install over carpet I always want to work in ways that are physically impossible on an uneven surface that can't be mopped up.) Their "Impressed by Design: Letterpress in the Heartland" show curated by Creativille, Inc., was phenomenal. I wanted to move into the space permanently. Since I was already familiar with Hatch Show Print , I knew I would enjoy several works, but I was caught up by each of the artists involved- Amos Kennedy, Ken Botnick, Jim Sherraden (of Hatch Show Print), Eric Woods of Firecracker Press and Brady Vest of Hammerpress. Since prints are so much easier on the budget, I coveted many of the posters, broadsides, and books. I left proud of my self control (I rarely get excited about objects enough to want to bring something else home to find a place for it, so when my interest is piqued I can get a bit manic with purchasing)- but U-turned and purchased a work by Amos Kennedy to christen my studio space and inspire me. Ahh...good 'ol printmaking. See a great write up on the show at Felt and Wire.

No comments: