Monday, March 23, 2009

Great Endings

I just finished A Sense of the World: How a Blind Man Became History's Greatest Traveler by Jason Roberts. Highly recommended. I usually am a fan of classic novels, and then become greatly disappointed by their endings (i.e. William Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage ending with a "bit of a Disney" clean closure.) Robert's non-fictional account of James Holman (1786-1857) is beautifully written, setting the scene of the times in a vibrant, engaging way.

I finished the book this week--- and I am enamored with his last few paragraphs. They are the conclusion of the book and don't encompass the vast travels of Holman-- If you want to get to the last paragraph yourself SPOILER ALERT: The first line is a quote from Holman himself and the last paragraph is an eloquent ending to conclude the story of Holman's life.

(Upon his world-wide travels, the sensation of place)..." entered into my heart, and I could have wept, not that I did not see, but that I could not portray all I felt." -James Holman

"Time, if not space renders all of us travelers. Cling as we might, we are ultimately compelled to let go of the familiar, to forge affinities with the new, and to sense the approach of the more unfamiliar still. We feel our way. If we are as fortunate as the Blind Traveler, we are given the grace to listen, with equal attention, to the intelligence of winds and the solemnity of silence. To remain, joyfully, awake to the path itself." - Jason Roberts A Sense of the World

I have read and reread the above passage many times. It is clear exposition on the nature of the transitory and travel. Bravo, Mr. Jason Roberts. The Blind Traveler was incredibly adroit with his language- as are you. I think the fitting of author to author was perfect in this case.


Good Ending #2. Composting the catalog designed by Shawn Stuckey from the For a Limited Time Only exhibition at The Art Center Highland Park . Here it is in with some onions peels, before I chucked it into the bin.

No comments: