Friday, July 31, 2009

I heart Open Source!



I just thought I would give a shout-out to Sweet Home 3D... I've been using this great free online tool for designing both the house rehabs and prepping for art installations from a distance. One of my upcoming installation spaces is an odd triangular wedge with a large column to contend with--- so it was great to plug in the floor plan and get to see it in graphically 3D, since my photos were deceptive in depicting the angles of the space. It's very easy to use- thanks SorceForge.net! This is one of the great accomplishments from emergence--- a mid-blowing idea I came across a few years ago in
Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software
Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software

by Steven Johnson. It makes you rethink creating objects...and questions several assumptions. Not an easy read, but it made being close friends with a computer programmer that can speak simply a small cream-cheese-frosted slice of heaven.

No comments: